Be sure to also check out 10 Weird and Wonderful Facts About Japan. This time we’re looking at Vietnam.
10 Weird and Wonderful Facts About Vietnam
1. “Vietnam” was originally two words, “Viet” and “Nam”.
2. It’s is home to the world’s largest cave which is called “Son Doong”.
3. Snake wine is quite common. People drink it to keep healthy. And, yes, they do use real snakes!
4. Vietnamese street food is very popular and is considered to be some of the best street food in the world. One of their most popular street foods are the Bahn Mi sandwiches. “Bahn Mi” just means “bread” or “baguette”.
5. Football is actually the most popular sport here.
6. The country has a 94% literacy rate!
7. It’s also one of the world’s largest producers of cashew nuts.
8. The world-famous Ha Long Bay is considered to be such a natural beauty, that it was included in the new 7 Wonders of Nature. This place should definitely be on your travel bucket list.
9. The American war in Vietnam lasted from 1954-1975. During this time over 3 million Vietnamese people were killed. 2 million civilians and 1.3 million soldiers.
10. Vietnam is one of the world’s least religious countries, with almost 82% of the population not following any religion. the most common religion is Buddism.
Latest posts by Gaijin Crew (see all)
- Travel Essentials: How to Eat Cheap on the Road - February 24, 2018
- Minimalist Travel Packing: 9 Reasons Why You May Be Packing Too Much - February 21, 2018
- The Ultimate Thailand Travel Guide - February 18, 2018